At ABC Dental, our top Chicago dentists use the latest dental restoration technology and procedures to restore damaged teeth and replace teeth that have been lost. Gone are the days when the only option available to treat damaged teeth was to extract them. Today, our top Chicago dentists use high-quality, aesthetically pleasing and durable restorations to restore damaged teeth, and replace the missing ones.
What are Dental Restorations?
Dental restorations are materials or appliances that are used by dentists to replace missing teeth or to restore damaged parts of the natural teeth. At ABC Dental, we use dental restorations for restoring the structure, function, and esthetics of your teeth so that you can enjoy a healthy, lasting, and beautiful smile.
Why are Dental Restorations Necessary?
There are a variety of reasons for getting dental restorations:
- Damaged Teeth – A dental restoration becomes necessary when a tooth either becomes damaged or infected. Dental injuries, whether they occur during sports, as a result of a road accident, or at the playground, are one of the most common reasons for getting dental restorations. Sometimes, the injury is so severe that the affected tooth is lost, and may require replacement with a suitable prosthesis such as a dental implant.
- Infected Teeth – teeth may also need dental restorations when they get infected. When teeth have cavities, our dentists will remove the damaged part and replace it with a suitable filling material. We also place crowns, a widely used dental restoration, after performing a root canal procedure to reinforce and restore the function and esthetics of the treated teeth.
- Tooth Loss – when a tooth is lost, either because of injury, infection or due to old age, our dentists will replace it with a suitable restoration, also known as a dental implant.
What are Different Types of Dental Restorations
Depending on whether your tooth needs repair or replacement, there are two main types of dental restorations:
- Dental Restorations for Tooth Repair – these restorations are used for repairing damaged, fractured, or chipped teeth. Direct dental restoration, such as a bonded fillings, silver amalgam, or glass ionomer fillings, are prepared directly inside the patient’s mouth. On the other hand, our dentists prepare indirect restorations by making an impression of your prepared teeth and sending them to the dental laboratory for fabrication. Once we receive the fabricated restoration, we attach it to the prepared tooth with dental cement. Examples of indirect restorations include inlays, onlays, and veneers.
- Dental Restorations for Tooth Loss – these restorations are also known as dental prostheses, as we use them for replacing missing teeth. At ABC Dental, our top Chicago dentists can use removable dentures for replacing some or all of your missing teeth in each jaw. On the other hand, some patients prefer fixed dental bridges for replacing up to 3 or 4 adjacent missing teeth in each jaw. By far, the most reliable, long-lasting and aesthetically pleasant option for replacing missing teeth are the dental implants. This is because the implants are inserted into the jaw bone just like the natural teeth. As a result, they look, function and feel just like your own teeth.
At ABC Dental, our top Chicago dentists recommend that you should get your damaged teeth repaired or replaced without any delay. This is because each natural tooth plays a role in helping you eat and speak, and even a single damaged or missing can affect your smile and personality, and create difficulties in eating and speaking.