At ABC Dental, our top Chicago dentists offer several attractive and comfortable options for replacing missing teeth, depending on your budget, esthetic needs, and oral hygiene status. If you have lost one or more of your natural teeth, removable dentures or a bridge may be a great solution.
Dentures and Partials
Removable dentures replace missing teeth and rest on the oral soft tissues and underlying jawbone. We use different materials for making dentures depending on the number of missing teeth: metal alloys, acrylic resins, and flexible polymers.
What are the Different Types of Dentures?
Depending on the number of teeth that need replacement, there are two main types of dentures:
- Partial Dentures – at ABC Dental, we use partial dentures for replacing one or more missing teeth. Partial dentures stay in place by encircling your adjacent healthy teeth with metal extensions or clasps. The denture base is made from metal alloys coated with a pink-colored resin to mimic the oral soft tissues, while the teeth consist of white-colored acrylic.
- Complete Dentures – at ABC Dental, we use complete, or full dentures when our patient is missing all of their teeth in their top or bottom jaw. Since there are no supporting teeth available, complete dentures rely on adhesive and the suction created by the saliva between the denture and the underlying tissues for their retention. The base of complete dentures is made from pink acrylic resins, and the teeth are made from white resin.
How Do I Get Dentures?
At ABC Dental, we will replace your missing teeth with dentures in multiple steps. Here’s what you can expect during the process:
- Consultation and Treatment Planning – First, one of our top Chicago dentists will examine your mouth and your existing teeth. Then, depending on the state of your existing teeth, the number of missing teeth, your jaw, and your desired outcome, the doctor will offer various options that are suitable for your treatment.
- Impression Making – Next, we will make impressions of your teeth and jaw. These impressions are sent to our lab, which will use them to prepare a baseplate that contains your new replacement teeth. If you require custom trays, we will use this initial impression for the custom tray creation.
- Recording your Bite – Next, using wax rims on your custom baseplate, the doctor will record your bite. This step is crucial because the dentist wants to ensure that your new teeth will work appropriately with your bite.
- Trial Dentures – At this visit, you will be able to try on your trial dentures and request any changes. If your changes are minimal, you will have your final dentures at your next visit. If you need significant changes, we will have the lab make a second trial set for you to try on at your next visit.
- Final Dentures – When your final dentures arrive, you’ll be given instructions on how to wear and care for your new teeth. One of our top Chicago dentists will also make any minor adjustments so that they fit comfortably.
- Follow Ups – You will most likely require at least one follow-up appointment for the dentist to make minor adjustments to areas that rub or irritate your mouth or gums.
Removable dentures are one of the most convenient and cost-effective options for replacing missing natural teeth. If you would like to get your missing teeth replaced with dentures, then we invite you to book a consultation appointment with one of our top Chicago dentists by calling 773-481-2200 or by clicking the schedule link.
A beautiful smile with removable dentures is just a few steps away!