A crown is a cap-shaped structure that sits on the visible surface of prepared natural teeth and is used for restoring the structure, function, and esthetics of badly damaged and worn teeth. At ABC Dental our top Chicago dentists use a variety of dental crowns made from different materials like porcelain, metal alloys, zirconia, and stainless steel, each having its own merits and demerits.
Who Can Benefit from Dental Crowns?
You are a suitable candidate for getting dental crowns if you have any of the following problems:
- Grossly Damaged Teeth – teeth that are excessively damaged, either because of cavities or due to accidental injuries, become weak and must be reinforced with dental crowns to restore their structure and esthetic.
- Permanent Teeth Stains – at ABC Dental, we also recommend tooth-colored porcelain crowns in cases where the teeth stains are permanent and cannot be removed with professional whitening.
- Brittle Teeth – teeth tend to become brittle after a root canal treatment procedure and tend to crack easily under light chewing forces. Therefore, we recommend that the back teeth that have to bear very high biting forces must be strengthened with dental crowns.
- Replacing a Single Missing Tooth – at ABC Dental we also use dental crowns for restoring a single missing tooth with dental implants.
How are Dental Crowns Placed?
At ABC Dental our top Chicago dentists usually complete the process for restoring teeth with dental crowns in more than sittings:
- Consultation – during your first appointment, we will examine your teeth and look at the x-ray images and study models of your teeth. We will assess your eligibility for getting dental crowns and then prepare a detailed treatment plan that we will customize according to your oral health needs.
- Tooth Preparation – During your next appointment, we prepare your damaged teeth for receiving the crowns by removing a thin layer of the dental enamel. We will do this to create room for the attachment of the crown to the tooth. Tooth preparation normally does not require anesthesia. However, in some, Drs. Zayzafoon and Shah may use local anesthesia if there is a risk that you may feel pain during the procedure.
- Impression Making – once we have prepared the tooth, we will make an impression of your upper and lower teeth, and send it to the dental laboratory for fabrication. We will also record the shade and color of your neighboring teeth and send this information to the laboratory so that your crown blends perfectly with your natural teeth. While the lab is fabricating your crown, Drs. Zayzafoon and Shah will give you a temporary crown so that your facial esthetics are not affected.
- Attaching the Crown – during the final appointment, we will first place the crown on the prepared tooth to ensure that it sits perfectly. If required, we will make the necessary modifications at the dental chairside. If everything goes well, we will attach the crown to the teeth with an adhesive. That’s it! Enjoy your brand-new smile!
When it comes to restoring grossly damaged teeth, there is no other option better than dental crowns. Whether you want to get rid of your chipped teeth, or you want a complete smile makeover, we have the solutions to all your dental problems. So, what are you waiting for?
Book a consultation with one of our top Chicago dentists and let us give you the smile of your dreams.
- Dental composite fillings
- Dental Crowns and Caps
- Dental Implants
- Dentures, Bridges and Partials
- Dental Restorations
- Dental Fixed Bridges
- Dental Inlay Restorations
- Dental Onlay Restorations