One of the most important part of kids dental care is to prevent cavities. Our kids dentists came up with a list of the top ways to help prevent cavities in children:
Establish Good Oral Hygiene Habits With Your Kids:
- The foundation of kids dental care is their daily oral hygiene routine: brushing and flossing. Teach your child to brush their teeth in the morning and before bed with fluoride toothpaste. Supervise them until they have mastered the proper technique, usually around 7 or 8. Make brushing a fun and routine part of their day.
Teach Your Kids to Floss Regularly:
- Flossing helps remove plaque and food particles that get between teeth, where toothbrushes can’t reach. When your child has two teeth that touch, start flossing them. Encourage them to floss daily as part of their oral hygiene routine.
Limit Sugary Foods and Drinks:
- Sugary foods and beverages are a significant contributor to cavities. Limit your child’s intake of sugary snacks, candies, and sodas. Instead, encourage healthy snacks like fruits, vegetables, and cheese. If they do consume sugary foods, ensure they brush their teeth afterward.
Take Your Kids in For Regular Dental Check-ups:
- Somewhere around your child’s first birthday or when their first tooth appears, they’re ready to go to the dentist for regular dental check-ups. Your dentist uses these visits to monitor your child’s oral health, identify issues early on, and provide preventive treatments like fluoride applications or dental sealants.
Brush With Fluoride Toothpaste And Get Fluoride Treatment:
- Brush your child’s teeth with fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride helps strengthen tooth enamel, making it less susceptible to decay. Consult with your dentist to determine the proper fluoride regimen for your child.
Consider Dental Sealants for Your Kids
- Our kids dentists usually recommend that dental sealants, which are protective coatings, be applied to the chewing surfaces of molars. Sealants are a barrier against cavity-causing bacteria, particularly in the back teeth.
Remember, preventing cavities combines proper oral hygiene, a balanced diet, regular dental check-ups, and healthy lifestyle choices. By instilling good habits early on and creating a positive attitude toward oral health and the dentist, you build a foundation for a lifetime of healthy smiles.