We have an emergency dentist at ABC Dental Chicago. In fact, we offer same-day emergency dental appointments AND emergency walk-in hours 11:00 – 2:30 Monday – Friday. We recommend you call our office so that we can give you the best possible appointment and advice: 773-481-2200. You can also schedule online.
We have created this blog post to help patients who might not be in Chicago and are looking for a good emergency dentist.
Your Guide to Emergency Dentistry
You don’t think about finding an emergency dentist until you need one. And often, most dental offices are not great for emergencies. They have limited hours or require advance appointments, even for emergencies.
From the patient side of things, dental emergencies happen at the most unexpected times. You’re at a party, a sports game, on vacation, sleeping, or just eating dinner at home.
If you’ve ever had excruciating tooth pain or chipped, broken, or lost a tooth, you understand the urgency of finding a good emergency dentist.
In this blog post, we’ll explore what constitutes a dental emergency, how to locate an emergency dentist in your area, and what steps to take when faced with a dental crisis.
What Is a Dental Emergency?
A dental emergency is any oral health issue that requires immediate attention to alleviate pain, prevent further damage, or save a tooth. Common dental emergencies include:
- Severe Toothache: A sudden, intense toothache can mean you have an underlying issue, such as an infection or a cracked tooth. It’s possible to crack your tooth and not know it.
- Knocked-Out Tooth: If a tooth is completely knocked out, that’s a dental emergency. Sometimes, your tooth can be saved, but you must get to an emergency dentist immediately.
- Chipped or Broken Tooth: If you chip or break your tooth, it can expose sensitive nerves. This also needs to be addressed quickly.
- Lost or Loose Dental Filling/Crown: If you lose a filling or a crown or they come loose, you’ll need to see a dentist. This can cause discomfort and further decay.
- Abscess or Gum Infection: An abscess or gum infection can be painful and requires treatment to prevent it from spreading.
- Injury to the Soft Tissues: Severe injuries to the lips, cheeks, or tongue that result in bleeding and trauma should be addressed by a dentist.
How to Find an Emergency Dentist:
- Check With Your Family Dentist: Your family dentist may take emergency appointments. They can usually refer you to an emergency dentist or dental clinic if they do not.
- Search Online: Look online. Make sure to read the reviews of the particular dentist to get an idea of how they treat their patients.
- Dental Associations: Contact your local or state dental association for a list of emergency dentists in your area. They may also provide information about dentists who offer after-hours care.
- Ask for Referrals: Reach out to friends, family members, or colleagues in your area. They may have recommendations based on their own experiences.
- Check Dental Directories: Online dental directories can help you find dentists near you who offer emergency services. Many directories provide reviews and ratings from other patients.
What to Do in a Dental Emergency:
- Stay Calm: It’s essential to remain as calm as possible during a dental emergency. Panic can exacerbate the situation.
- Contact the Dentist: Call the emergency dentist’s office to explain your situation and inquire about their availability. Provide as much information as possible.
- Follow First Aid: In the meantime, you can take steps to alleviate pain or protect the affected area. Rinse your mouth with warm salt water, use dental floss to remove any lodged objects, and apply a cold compress to reduce swelling.
- Go to the Dentist: If the dentist advises you to come in immediately, follow their instructions and get to the office promptly.
Knowing where to find a good emergency dentist is a big part of maintaining your oral health and peace of mind. Dental emergencies can happen at any time to anyone. Being prepared with the right information can make all the difference in getting the care you need when you need it. Early intervention is vital in dental emergencies, so don’t hesitate to seek help when faced with a dental crisis.
We here at ABC Dental Chicago offer same-day emergency dental appointments AND emergency walk-in hours 11:00 – 2:30 Monday – Friday. We recommend you call our office so that we can give you the best possible appointment and advice: 773-481-2200.