Just like any other disease of the body, periodontal disease is also something that should not be taken lightly. Even if you get your teeth professionally cleaned, or undergo deep dental cleaning, there are chances that periodontal inflammation may develop again – only to cause more pain and inconvenience.
Why does gum inflammation reoccur after a deep cleaning? This is because a professional, or dental deep cleaning, is only half the solution. To ensure that you don’t have to worry about swollen or bleeding gums ever again, you must play your part as well.
Here are a few things that you must do to prevent periodontal disease from returning:
- Oral Hygiene Maintenance – Periodontal treatment can never be successful unless you ensure optimal oral hygiene care. Consider good oral hygiene habits to the most important weapon against periodontal disease. Make sure you brush and floss regularly according to the instructions of your dentist. When you maintain good oral hygiene, plaque and tartar deposits are less likely to develop in the first place. This greatly reduces the chances of developing periodontal disease.
- Be on the Lookout – We cannot repeat this enough. One of the best strategies to prevent periodontal disease from returning is good daily oral hygiene. Whenever you brush your teeth, look for the initial signs of a periodontal infection. If you feel that your gums have begun to swell or bleed again, then you should visit one of our top Chicago dentists immediately for treatment, as gum disease is completely reversible in the early stages.
- Visit your Dentist Regularly – The second most important weapon in combatting periodontal disease is regular dental checkups and cleanings. Our top Chicago dentists are able to diagnose problems at the very initial stages – even before they are visible to the naked eye. In fact, we’ve found that 6 month cleanings and checkups have helped keep most of our patients free of periodontal recurrences.
Just like with other dental problems, prevention is the most potent weapon against the reappearance of periodontal disease. Good daily oral hygiene and regular dental visits keep your mouth healthy.
- What is periodontal disease, or gum disease?
- How is periodontal disease diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for periodontal disease?
- What is a dental deep cleaning?
- How is a dental deep cleaning different than a regular dental cleaning?
- What do I do after a dental deep cleaning?
- How do I prevent periodontal disease from returning?
- What causes periodontal disease?
- What are the stages of periodontal disease?
- What are the symptoms of periodontal disease?
- How the mouth and body are connected.
- The link between periodontal disease and diabetes.
- The link between periodontal disease, heart disease, and stroke.
- Periodontal disease and pregnancy
- The link between periodontal disease and osteoporosis.
- The link between periodontal disease and respiratory disease.